Monday 14 June 2010

The Bold & the Beautiful

Wild is the Wind

Eva Herzigova & Tanga Moreau by Steven Meisel for Vogue Italia June 2010

Upon the first time of flicking (very quickly) through these pages, I could not decide whether or not I agreed with the aesthetics of this shoot. No doubt Steven Meisel has once again exemplified his extraordinarily genius story-telling skills – I am especially attracted to dirty, grunginess of the shoot. How all the models have that ‘Lost Boys’ look in their eye, yet manage to either drape ever so effortlessly on a bed of crisp autumn leaves; or appear almost statuesque with a laser-beam stare. Visually however, what I was not sure about, is the eclectic layering of such voluminous pieces.

Marie-Amelie Sauvé’s styling immediately reminded me of Comme Des Garçon’s F/W ready-to-wear collection of 2010. Rei Kawakubo is known to continuously design what I see as art-work which not everyone agrees with or understands. Her collection this season definitely defies conventional notions of female body enhancement.

While other designers seek to flatter, enhance and elongate, Master Kawakubo antithetically stuffs, merges and adds bumps to. Talk about fashion going rogue.




... I've had one of the worst days. So thought I'd end with an extra special heart than usual


No comments:

Post a Comment